Lyons Police Department
The Board of Police and Fire Commissioners of the Village of Lyons, Illinois is accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Lyons Police Department.
Current Starting Salary is competitive with the region: $46,000
Full-time employment benefits include:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Paid holidays. personal days, Kelly days and sick leave compensatory hours
- Uniform equipment issued through a quartermaster system with a uniform maintenance allowance
- Pension plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Military leave provided
- No residency area requirement
Sworn Police Officers: 12*
*Vacancies to be filled immediately.
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Village of Lyons:
- U.S. citizenship;
- No felony convictions (Note: a misdemeanor or serious traffic offense may also disqualify applicants from further consideration);
- Valid state-issued driver's license;
- Minimum of 21 years of age AND shall be under the age of 35 by the application deadline date (July 21, 2017) unless exempt from such age limitation as provided in Section 5/10-2.1-6 of the Fire and Police Commissioner's Act;
- Be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D. equivalent;
- Possess a valid NIPSTA (P.O.W.E.R. Test) card due at the time of medical and psychological evaluation stage;
- Must successfully complete an oral interview;
- Must successfully complete a background investigation (applicants will be required to fully disclose all personnel matters, to include agreements and sealed files);
- Must successfully complete a psychological evaluation and medical physical (including drug and alcohol screening);
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
Preference points will be awarded as determined by the Village of Lyons for the following:
- Military: Persons who were engaged in the military or naval service of the United States for at least one year, and were honorably discharged. A copy of Form DD-214 (indicating status of discharge) must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Education: Persons who have successfully obtained a Bachelor's Degree, in any field, from an accredited college or university. Copy of unofficial transcripts must be submitted with application to qualify.
Submission of Application:
Applications MUST be submitted online by Friday, July 21, 2017 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Mandatory Orientation and Written Examination Testing Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to attend the following:
Clear your calendar and make sure you are available on the following date: All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process.
Saturday, July 29, 2017 - Check-in starts at 9 AMLocation: Lyons Village Hall, Community Room4200 Lawndale AvenueLyons, IL 60534 Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants:As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline. For a complete list of required documents, click to the page titled "Summary of the Hiring Process" (this information is accessible prior to the payment page).
The Village of Lyons is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the continuing policy of the Lyons Police Department to afford equal employment opportunity to qualified individuals, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, or disability, and to conform to applicable laws and regulations. Equal opportunity encompasses all aspects of employment practices to include, but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, benefits, promotions, transfers, and discipline.