Thank you for your interest in the Champaign Police Department. We are seeking individuals committed to providing the highest quality of service and protection to our citizens. Applicants are encouraged to familiarize themselves with our Department's mission, vision, and guiding principles by visiting our website at www.champaignpolice.com. Qualified applicants should also familiarize themselves with our hiring process and dates of interest, as outlined below.
Champaign Police Department
The Board of Fire and Police Commissioners of the City of Champaign, Illinois is accepting applications for the position of entry-level police officer with the Champaign Police Department.
Salary: $60,155 ($65,493 after a 15-month probationary period)
Sworn Police Officers: 125
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the City of Champaign:
- Be a U.S. Citizen or legally authorized to work in the U.S. (Must meet I-9 employment authorization requirements at time of hire);
- Provide proof of a valid Driver’s License;
- Provide proof of a high school diploma or equivalent;
- Be 21 years of age by June 25, 2019;
- Have no felony convictions. NOTE: Some convictions for misdemeanors or serious traffic offenses may also disqualify applicants from further consideration;
- Must successfully complete a written examination, oral interview and background investigation;
- Must successfully complete a medical examination and psychological testing;
- Pay a $25.00 non-refundable application processing fee or apply and qualify for a waiver.
Preference Points will be awarded for either of the following:
- Military Veterans: Those candidates who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States in certain times of hostilities with a foreign country may be eligible for five (5) veteran's preference points. For specific information relating to how veteran's preference points will be awarded, please click on the link below for the entry-level Police Officer Testing Information Packet and review the information under "STEP 6 - PREFERENCE POINTS".
- Education: Those candidates who have a higher education may be eligible for five (5) education preference points. "Higher education" shall mean the following: Bachelor's Degree; or Associate's Degree in Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice, Fire Service, or Emergency Medical Services.
STEPS IN THE HIRING PROCESS:
STEP 1 - Optional Recruitment Information Session. Wednesday, January 23, 2019 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Location: Champaign Police Department, Dodsworth/Tatman Room, 82 E. University Ave., Champaign.
STEP 2 - Submission of Application. Applications (and supporting documents) MUST be submitted online by Monday, February 11, 2019 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, qualified applicants will be invited to attend the following:
STEP 3 - Optional Written Exam Study Session and Practice Exam. Wednesday, February 20, 2019 from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM. Location: Chancellor Ballroom, I-Hotel and Conference Center, 1900 South First Street, Champaign.
STEP 4 - Mandatory Orientation and Written Examination Testing. Clear your calendar and make sure you are available on the following date. There are NO make-up testing dates being offered. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process.
Date: Saturday, March 9, 2019Time: Check-in starts at 8:00 a.m.Location: Illinois Ballroom, I-Hotel and Conference Center, 1900 South First Street, Champaign.
Candidates with the top 100 written exam scores will be eligible to proceed through the testing and selection process outlined below.*
STEP 5 - ORAL BOARD INTERVIEW: APRIL 8-11, 2019
STEP 6 - PREFERENCE POINTS
STEP 7 - PLACEMENT ON ELIGIBILITY LIST
STEP 8 - INTERVIEW WITH POLICE CHIEF
STEP 9 - BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION
STEP 10 - POLICE CHIEF RECOMMENDATION FOR APPOINTMENT
STEP 11 - MEDICAL EXAMINATION
STEP 12 - P.O.W.E.R. TEST
*These steps are described in greater detail in the following document.
Click here for the Entry-Level Police Officer Testing Information Packet:
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants: As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline. Be sure to maintain copies of all documents submitted with your application. You may be asked to submit these documents again during the background investigation stage.
The City of Champaign is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.