ELWOOD POLICE DEPARTMENT
The Village of Elwood, Illinois is accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Elwood Police Department.
Benefits include: Excellent pension plan, AFLAC optional, Nationwide 457 Plan optional, health insurance, vision and dental insurance, vacation, personal and sick leave, holiday pay, overtime opportunities, specialty assignments, MAP Union Chapter 387, educational incentive, $750 uniform allowance annually and 8-hour work schedule.
Population: 2,256 (2016 census)
Sworn Police Officers: 11 full time and 3 part time officers
Police Officer Minimum Requirements: All applicants for the position of police officer must comply with all state laws requiring certification standards and must meet the following standards of the Village of Elwood.
- U.S. citizenship;
- Minimum of 21 years of age;
- No felony convictions or misdemeanor convictions for crimes of moral turpitude;
- Possess a valid driver's license with good driving record;
- Be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D. equivalent;
- Must possess a valid POWER Test card, issued within 12 months of the written exam date (June 6, 2020);
- Only POWER Test cards issued by NIPSTA, Triton College, or Joliet Junior College will be accepted.*
- Applicants must present the POWER Test card NO LATER than the written exam date (June 6, 2020)*
- *Due to COVID-19 this requirement will be waived as needed.
- Must successfully complete a written examination;
- Must pass an oral interview with the Chief of Police or his designee;
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, polygraph, and psychological testing. NOTE: All applicants will be required to fully disclose all personal matters, to include agreements and sealed files;
- Must successfully complete a medical and visual examination, including drug and alcohol screening;
- Possess 20/20 corrected vision with good depth perception and cannot be colorblind;
- Must be able to qualify with a firearm and pass the required· firearm training course certified by the state;
- Must be able to complete the mandatory police training required by the state and pass the final test for certification by the state or receive a waiver from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Boards for prior training or experience;
- Pay a $40.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
*Visit the following websites for additional information on obtaining a POWER Test card:
Submission of Application:
Applications MUST be submitted online by Monday, May 18, 2020 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Mandatory Orientation and Written Examination: Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to attend the following.
Clear your calendar and make sure you are available on the following date: All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.)
Date and Time: Saturday, June 6, 2020 (Check-in between 8:30 AM and 9:00 AM) Location: Elwood Police Department401 E. Mississippi AvenueElwood, IL 60421 Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants:As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit the required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, the following documents must be submitted with your application and received prior to the deadline:
- Copy of valid driver's license;
- Copy of birth certificate;
- Copy of Social Security card;
- Copy of high school diploma (or transcripts) -OR- G.E.D. equivalency;
- Copy of valid POWER Test card (issued within 12 months of the date of the written exam: June 6, 2020);
- Copy of college transcripts (if applicable);
- Copy of DD-214 indicating discharge status (required for all applicants with current or prior military service);
- Copy of Illinois law enforcement certification (if applicable).
The Elwood Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
It is the policy of this Department that alt individuals are to be given equal opportunity for employment regardless of race, sex, religious belief, color, age, national origin, or physical impairment.