Schererville Police Department
The Town of Schererville, Indiana
The Board of Safety for the Town of Schererville, Indiana is accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Schererville Police Department.
The mission of the Schererville Police Department is to enhance the quality of life in the Town of Schererville, by working cooperatively with the public and within the framework of the US Constitution to enforce the laws, preserve the peace, reduce fear, and provide for a safe environment.
Salary: $52,977.60 (starting probationary salary)
Sworn Police Officers: 49
The Town of Schererville provides the following employee benefits:
- 10 paid vacation days after one year of employment;
- 8 paid holidays, accrued sick leave, incentive and longevity pay;
- Life, Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance;
- Overtime pay;
- Car per officer program.
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Town of Schererville Board of Safety:
- U.S. citizenship;
- No felony convictions (Note: a misdemeanor or serious traffic offense may also disqualify applicants from further consideration);
- Valid state-issued driver's license;
- Minimum of 21 years of age AND shall be under the age of 36 at time of job offer, unless exempt per State Statute:
- IC 36-8-4.7-5 Waiver of maximum age for appointment to police or fire department; waiver requirements; 1977 fund membership Sec. 5. (a) Notwithstanding any contrary law, an appointing authority shall waive any age restriction for a person not more than forty (40) years and six (6) months of age that applies to the appointment and hiring of an individual as:(1) a member of the police department; or(2) a member of the fire department;if the individual meets the requirements of subsection (b). (b) An individual who meets all the following requirements is entitled to the waiver described in subsection (a):(1) On the date the individual applies to be appointed and hired as:(A) a member of the police department; or(B) a member of the fire department;the individual is a veteran who has completed at least twenty (20) years of military service.(2) The individual received or is eligible to receive an honorable discharge from the armed forces;
- Be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D. equivalent;
- Must successfully complete a physical agility test (administered to all applicants on Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 9 AM (Schererville Police Department: 25 E. Joliet St. Schererville, IN 46375);
- Must successfully complete a background investigation (applicants will be required to fully disclose all personnel matters, to include agreements and sealed files);
- Must successfully complete an oral interview;
- Must successfully complete a psychological evaluation, medical physical (including drug and alcohol screening), and polygraph;
- Pay a $25.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
Preference points will be awarded as determined by the Town of Schererville for the following:
- Military: Persons who were engaged in the military or naval service of the United States for at least one year, and were honorably discharged. A copy of Form DD-214 (indicating status of discharge) must be submitted with application to qualify.
Mandatory Next Steps and Timeline:
Phase 1 - Submission of Application: Complete applications must be submitted no later than Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Phase 2 - Mandatory Physical Agility Testing: Must successfully complete a physical agility test (administered to all applicants on Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 9 AM (Schererville Police Department: 25 E. Joliet St. Schererville, IN 46375);
Phase 3 - Mandatory Remote On-Line Written Examination: Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing starting at 9 AM on Tuesday, March 16, 2021 through Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 4 PM. The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants:As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit the required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, the following documents must be submitted with your application and received prior to the deadline:
- Copy of valid state-issued driver's license;
- Copy of Social Security card;
- Copy of birth certificate;
- Copy of high school diploma (or transcripts) -OR- G.E.D. equivalency;
- Copy of DD-214 indicating discharge status for military personnel.
The Town of Schererville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.