THE VILLAGE OF BRADLEY, ILLINOIS FIRE DEPARTMENT
The Village of Bradley is now accepting applications for the position of firefighter/paramedic with the Bradley Fire Department. Please read these application requirements carefully, paying particular attention to deadlines and required documents.
Starting Salary: $56,654.00
Village Population: 15,471 (2016 census)
Sworn Personnel: 7 full-time and 16 paid-on-call
Firefighter/Paramedic Minimum Requirements at time of application:
- U.S. Citizenship;
- No misdemeanor or felony convictions in accordance with 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6.3(i).
- Must be at least 21 years of age by the application deadline date (September 8, 2020)*
- NOTE: Candidates between the ages of 18 and 21 with at least two (2) years of completed study in Fire Science will be eligible to test.
- Maximum age of 35 by the application deadline date (September 8, 2020) unless exempt in accordance with ILCS 5/10-2.1-6;
- Valid state-issued driver's license;
- High school diploma or GED equivalent;
- EMT-Paramedic License issued by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) by time of hire;
- Firefighter II/Basic Operations Firefighter Certification issued by the Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal;
- Valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) card and Ladder Climb certification issued by a licensed testing agency within one year of the written exam date (September 17, 2020). CPAT/Ladder Climb certification must be issued from September 17, 2019 through September 17, 2020) -OR- For applicants who do not currently possess a valid CPAT card, the applicant will be required to successfully pass the Bradley Fire Department Firefighter Physical Ability Examination. This examination will be conducted by the Bradley Fire Department after the results of the written exam have been tabulated and it will only be offered to candidates who pass the written exam (and do not have an active CPAT);
- Watch a mandatory firefighter candidate orientation video prior to submitting application (you will be required to sign a form acknowledging you viewed this as part of the application);
- Residency within a 30-mile radius of the fire station (147 S. Michigan Avenue, Bradley, IL 60915) within six (6) months of hire.
Required Documents (to be submitted at time of application):
- COPY of US citizenship (acceptable documentation may include a US birth certificate, a valid US passport or naturalization papers);
- COPY of valid driver’s license (if your license was renewed with a sticker, copies of the front -AND- back are required);
- COPY of high school diploma or GED certificate (acceptable documentation may include copy of high school diploma, high school transcript with graduation date, dated GED, college transcript showing high school and high school graduation date, or signed letter on high school letterhead).
- COPY of EMT-Paramedic License issued by the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) (if applicable);
- COPY of Firefighter II/Basic Operations Firefighter Certification issued by the Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal;
- COPY of CPAT and Ladder Climb certification with an issue date within one (1) year of the written exam date (September 17, 2020); CPAT/Ladder Climb certification must be issued from September 17, 2019 through September 17, 2020 (if applicable);
- COPY of OFFICIAL college transcripts as proof of minimum two (2) years of completed study in Fire Science*
- This requirement only applies to candidates between 18 and 21 years of age.
Mandatory Next Steps in the Hiring Process: Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing starting at 8 AM on Thursday, September 17, 2020 through Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 5 PM. The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
Preference Points will be awarded as determined by the Village of Bradley Board of Fire and Police Commission for the following:
- Military Veterans
- Paramedic Certification (EMT-B/P)
- Fire Service Experience in a Fire Department/District
- Residency in the Village of Bradley
- Licensed by the State of Illinois as Firefighter II Basic or Advanced
Applicants must submit all supporting documents online by 4:00 PM (CST) on Tuesday, September 8, 2020.
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants:
As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted as outlined above and received prior to the deadline.
The Village of Bradley is an equal opportunity employer and ensures against discrimination in employment on the basis of a person's race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, military discharge status, source of income, housing status, or gender identity.