Stanard & Associates, Inc. administers the application process for the Bourbonnais Fire Protection District
Board of Fire Commissioners, and the Bourbonnais Fire Protection District
Board of Fire Commissioners retains authority over the application process and hiring of individuals. All
applicant information and application forms are the property of the Bourbonnais Fire Protection District
Board of Fire Commissioners. Stanard & Associates, Inc. does not establish the qualification or eligibility
requirements, required application procedures, or related employment standards and procedures and is limited in addressing questions or requests for information in
Bourbonnais Fire Protection District, Bourbonnais, Illinois
The Bourbonnais Fire Protection District Board of Fire Commissioners is accepting applications for the position of firefighter/paramedic.
The District will be hiring a minimum of 3 newly created firefighter/paramedics from this eligibility list on or before March 1, 2021.
Salary: $48,000 (starting pay, plus health, dental, life insurance, vacation and sick time, and pension plan). The current labor agreement expires May 31, 2021. Population: 18,631 (as of 2010 census)Sworn Personnel: 42* *Current shift staffing: 7 per shift (1 career Lieutenant, 2 career firefighter/paramedics, 2 contract firefighter/paramedics, 2 part-time firefighter/paramedic or EMT-B).
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Bourbonnais Fire Protection District:
- U.S. citizenship or an alien admitted for permanent residence* *must submit proof of permanent resident (green) card;
- No felony convictions;
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
- Valid Illinois driver's license (will be required proof of identification at all phases of testing);
- At least 21 years of age at time of hire AND must be UNDER 35 years of age on the application deadline date (November 13, 2020)*
- Unless otherwise exempt by State or Federal law; Such maximum age limitation shall not apply in the case of 1) any person previously employed as a full-time firefighter in a regularly constituted fire department of (i) any municipality or fire protection district whose obligations were assumed by a municipality under Section 21 of the Fire Protection District Act, or (ii) a municipality whose obligations were taken over by a fire protection district, or 2) any person who has served the fire district as a regularly enrolled volunteer, paid-on-call, or part-time firefighter for the 5 years immediately preceding the time that the district begins to use full-time firefighters to provide all or part of its fire protection service. Furthermore, to qualify for either of these exceptions set forth above, the applicant shall have been actively working as a firefighter within 2 years of the date of his/her application to this District. Proof of date of birth will be required at the time of application (References: 70 ILCS 705/16.06b; 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6);
- Provide a valid CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test Card) with Ladder Climb issued within 12 months of the written examination date of November 20th (due at time of application) -OR- participate in on-site physical ability testing on Saturday, November 21, 2020 at Bourbonnais Fire Protection District, 1080 Armour Rd. Bourbonnais, IL 60914. Check-in at 8:45 AM. Doors will be locked at 9 AM;
- Must be a certified Basic Operations Firefighter through the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal at time of offer of employment*;
- Must have a valid Medical Technician-Paramedic certification issued through the State of Illinois Department of Public Health at time of offer of employment*;
- Must successfully test into the Presence/St. Mary's Kankakee EMS System at time of offer of employment;
- Participcate in remote on-line written examination testing available starting at 9 AM Friday, November 20th through Saturday, November 21st at 4 PM;
- Participate in an in-person oral board interview on Saturday, November 21, 2020 with the BFPD Board of Fire Commissioners. Individual appointment times will be scheduled approximately one week prior;
- Must meet the requirements of a background check and pass a medical, and psychological test;
- Application deadline is Friday, November 13, 2020 at 4:00 PM (CST);
- Review a mandatory firefighter candidate orientation presentation prior to submitting your application.
*The District encourages all applicants not currently certified as a Basic Operations Firefighter -OR- certified as a paramedic to apply.
Preference Points will be awarded as determined by the Bourbonnais Fire Protection District for the following:
- Military Veterans: Applicants who served in the United States military for at least 1 year and who were honorably discharged, or are now or have been members on inactive or reserve duty in such military or naval service, shall receive five (5) points. Proof of such service must include a copy of Military Form DD-214 (long form) as proof of active service and evidence of honorable discharge at time of application to qualify;
- Education: Applicants who have successfully obtained an Associate's Degree in the field of fire service or emergency medical services, or a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university may receive from zero (0) to five (5) preference points at the Board's discretion. The Board reserves the right to award a greater number of preference points for job-related degrees than for non job-related degrees. A copy of a diploma or official transcript indicating "degree conferred" must be submitted at time of application to qualify;
- Fire Service Experience: All applicants employed by the District who have been paid-on-call or part-time certified Firefighter II, certified Firefighter III, State of Illinois or nationally licensed EMT-B or EMT-I, licensed paramedic, or any combination of those capacities may be awarded preference points for their experience. Applicants from outside the District who were employed as full-time firefighters or firefighter-paramedics by a fire protection district or municipality for at least 2 years may be awarded up to the maximum available preference points for this category at the Board’s discretion. No experience preference points will be awarded under this section to applicants for service with a private employer who had a contract for fire or ambulance service with a fire protection district or municipality. The Board shall prorate the awarding of the points based on partial years of experience under this section. Proof of such service must include submission of copies of applicable certificates. Note that proof of POC or full-time service may be verified by the District. Applicants may be awarded up to one half (1/2) point for each complete year of paid-on-call or part-time service, up to a total of zero (0) to five (5) preference points, at the Board’s discretion.
- NOTE: A candidate may not receive the full amount of experience preference points under this subsection if the amount of points awarded would place the candidate before a veteran on the eligibility list. If more than one candidate receiving experience preference points is prevented from receiving all of their points due to not being allowed to pass a veteran, the candidates shall be placed on the list below the veteran in rank order based on the totals received if all points under this subsection were to be awarded. Any remaining ties on the list shall be determined by lot.
Submission of Application
- Applications MUST be submitted online by Friday, November 13, 2020 at 4:00 PM (CST).
- Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Mandatory Next Steps in the Hiring Process:
Step 1: Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing starting at 9 AM on Friday, November 20, 2020 through Saturday, November 21, 2020 at 4 PM. The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
Step 2: Participate in an in-person oral board interview on Saturday, November 21, 2020 with the Bourbonnais Fire Protection District Board of Fire Commissioners. Individual appointment times will be scheduled approximately one week prior.
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants: As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents (such as your driver's license, birth certificate, and high school diploma or GED equivalent), records, and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until the day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline. Failure to disclose complete and honest information may result in disqualification from the hiring process.
The Bourbonnais Fire Protection District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This organization is committed to the policy of equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. Your job related experience and other qualifications will be considered without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or physical or mental handicap. All information provided in this application will be treated confidentially, and will be used only to help assure the best use of your abilities if you are employed with the District.