Stanard & Associates, Inc. administers the application process for the Hampshire Fire Protection District
Board of Trustees, and the Hampshire Fire Protection District
Board of Trustees retains authority over the application process and hiring of individuals. All
applicant information and application forms are the property of the Hampshire Fire Protection District
Board of Trustees. Stanard & Associates, Inc. does not establish the qualification or eligibility
requirements, required application procedures, or related employment standards and procedures and is limited in addressing questions or requests for information in
Hampshire Fire Protection District, Hampshire, Illinois
The Hampshire Fire Protection District Board of Trustees is accepting applications for the position of firefighter/paramedic.
Salary: $57,000 (starting pay, plus health insurance, pension, and other incentives per the current Collective Bargaining Agreement. About the District: The HFPD serves approximately 10,000 residents in a 42 square mile area in Kane and DeKalb Counties. We also protect an additional 10 miles of Interstate 90 in Kane, McHenry, and Boone Counties. We currently have 37 personnel (7 full-time, 28 part-time, and 2 civilian). We respond to an average of 1,200 calls annually. The Hampshire area is a rapidly growing community to include residential, commercial, and industrial developments.
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Hampshire Fire Protection District Board of Trustees:
- U.S. citizenship;
- No felony convictions;
- At least 21 years of age at time of application AND must be UNDER 35 years of age on the application deadline date (January 12, 2021)*
- Unless otherwise exempt by State or Federal law; Such maximum age limitation shall not apply in the case of 1) any person previously employed as a full-time firefighter in a regularly constituted fire department of (i) any municipality or fire protection district whose obligations were assumed by a municipality under Section 21 of the Fire Protection District Act, or (ii) a municipality whose obligations were taken over by a fire protection district, or 2) any person who has served the fire district as a regularly enrolled volunteer, paid-on-call, or part-time firefighter for the 5 years immediately preceding the time that the district begins to use full-time firefighters to provide all or part of its fire protection service. Furthermore, to qualify for either of these exceptions set forth above, the applicant shall have been actively working as a firefighter within 2 years of the date of his/her application to this District. Proof of date of birth will be required at the time of application (References: 70 ILCS 705/16.06b; 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6);
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
- Valid State of Illinois driver's license with a good driving record;
- Must be a certified Firefighter II/Basic Operations Firefighter through the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal at time of application;
- Must have a valid CPAT and Ladder Climb certification issued within 12 months of the application deadline date (January 12, 2021) at time of application;
- Must possess an EMT-Paramedic certification issued through the State of Illinois Department of Public Health at time of hire;
- Must successfully test into the Sherman Hospital Greater Elgin Area EMS System prior to offer of employment;
- Review a mandatory firefighter candidate orientation presentation prior to submitting application (you will be required to sign a form acknowledging you reviewed this as part of the application).
- Participate in and successfully pass a remote on-line written examination. Test will be made available to applicants between 9 AM January 21st through January 22, 2021 at 4 PM;
- Must meet the requirements of an in-depth background investigation, medical and psychological evaluation prior to conditional offer of employment;
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee;
- Submit application and all required documents no later than Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 4:00 PM (CST).
Preference Points will be awarded as determined by the Hampshire Fire Protection District Board of Trustees for the following:
- Military Veterans: Applicants who served in the United States military actively for at least 1 year and who were honorably discharged, or are now inactive or reserve duty in such military or naval service, shall receive five (5) points. Proof of such service must include a copy of Military Form DD-214 (long form) as proof of active service evidence of honorable discharge, and a sworn affidavit by the applicant to qualify;
- Education Applicants who have successfully obtained an Associate's Degree in the field of Fire Service shall receive two (2) points -OR- a Bachelor's Degree in a related Fire Service field shall receive three (3) points. Proof of degree (copy of transcripts or diploma indicating degree awarded and field of study) required at time of application to qualify;
- Fire Service Experience: All applicants employed by the Hampshire Fire Protection District who have been paid-on-call or part-time certified firefighter II (BOF), State of Illinois, or nationally licensed paramedic, or any combination of those capacities, -OR- full-time firefighters employed outside of the District may be awarded preference points for their experience. One half (1/2) point for each complete year paid-on-call or part-time service, up to a total of five (5) preference points;
- Residency: The Board may award five (5) preference points to applicants whose principle residence is located within the Fire District's boundaries.
Submission of Application:
- Applications MUST be submitted online by Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 4:00 PM (CST).
- Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Mandatory Next Steps in the Hiring Process:
Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing starting at 9 AM on Thursday, January 21, 2021 through Friday, January 22, 2021 at 4 PM. The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants: As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents (such as your driver's license, birth certificate, and high school diploma or GED equivalent), records, and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until the day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline. Failure to disclose complete and honest information may result in disqualification from the hiring process.
The Hampshire Fire Protection District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This organization is committed to the policy of equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. Your job related experience and other qualifications will be considered without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or physical or mental handicap. All information provided in this application will be treated confidentially, and will be used only to help assure the best use of your abilities if you are employed with the District.