Wauconda Police Department
The Board of Police Commissioners of the Village of Wauconda, Illinois is accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Wauconda Police Department.
Starting Salary: $73,234.07 (effective 5/1/2021) - FOP Contract available for viewing on the Village of Wauconda website, transparency portal.
About the Village: The Village of Wauconda is located in west central Lake County about 45 miles northeast of the City of Chicago. As the Village undergoes growth, the Wauconda Police Department is looking for the best people available to become police officers. Future growth, advancement, potential, salary and benefits are considered excellent.
About the Department: The Wauconda Police Department employs 32 sworn police officers: 25 full-time and 7 part-time, and 2 full-time and 3 part-time civilian employees. Patrol Officers currently work permanent shifts, which are bid by seniority on a yearly basis and a 5-days worked/3-days off, 9 hour schedule. The Department is responsible for providing the community with professional law enforcement service and the protection of all persons and property. The Police Department is divided into four primary divisions: administration, investigations, patrol, and support services. The Administrative Division is comprised of the Chief of Police, Deputy Chief, and one executive assistant. The Patrol Division has six Sergeants, 17 Patrol Officers, and two part-time Community Service Officers. The Marine Unit falls under the Patrol Division which consists of a full-time Sergeant and six part-time Marine Unit Officers. The Investigations Division consists of one Detective Sergeant, two Detectives, and one School Resource Officer. The Support Services Division is comprised of one administrative assistant, and one part-time support services clerk to perform the daily records functions and monitor the front lobby. The Wauconda Police Department offers numerous specialty positions for officers, including, but not limited to: Bicycle Patrol Officer, Public Information Officer, Evidence Technician, K-9, Officer-in-Charge (OIC) Officer, Lake County Gang Task Force (LCGTF), and Lake County Major Crash Assistance Team (MCAT).
Benefits Package: Medical and Dental Insurance; Village Paid 100k Life Insurance; Police Officer Pension; 10 Days Vacation after first full year of employment; College Tuition Reimbursement; 5/3 Scheduling; Fitness Facility; Uniform Allowance.
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Village of Wauconda:
- U.S. citizenship -OR- legal permanent residency (green card holder);
- No felony convictions;
- Applicants who are 20 years of age -AND- have successfully completed two (2) years of law enforcement studies at an accredited college or university shall be eligible to take the initial examination. Any such applicant who is appointed under this provision shall not have power of arrest, or be permitted to carry a firearm until he/she reaches 21 years of age. All other applicants not having such college education MUST be 21 years of age, -AND- have not yet attained age 35, unless meeting certain exceptions as indicated under State Statute;
- Possess a valid state-issued Driver's License;
- Possess an Associate's Degree -OR- the equivalent of at least 60 credit hours at an accredited college, university or junior college (official transcripts will be required at the background investigation stage);
- Possess a valid POWER test card -OR- equivalent criteria as per the State standard, issued within 6 months prior to the written exam date (February 9, 2021);
- Only POWER Test Cards issued by NIPSTA, Triton College, or Joliet Junior College will be accepted;
- Residency within 25 miles of the Village of Wauconda at time of hire;
- Successful completion of a written examination and mandatory candidate orientation session;
- After posting of the entry level eligibility roster, the following steps will be required prior to hire: successfully passing of an oral interview, credit/background investigation, psychological and polygraph examinations, medical examination, and drug testing;
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
Preference points will be awarded as determined by the Village of Wauconda for the following:
- Military: Persons who were engaged in the military or naval service of the United States for at least one year, and were honorably discharged. A copy of Form DD-214 (indicating status of discharge).
Submission of Application
Applications MUST be submitted online by Monday, February 1, 2021 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Mandatory Next Steps in the Hiring Process
Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing starting at 9 AM on Tuesday, February 9, 2021 through Thursday, February 11, 2021 at 4 PM. The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
The Village of Wauconda is an Equal Opportunity Employer.