Northlake Police Department
The Board of Police Commissioners of the City of Northlake, Illinois is accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Northlake Police Department.
Salary: $73,255 - $97,790 (after 60 months)
Sworn Police Officers: 34
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the City of Northlake:
- U.S. citizenship;
- Possess a valid state-issued driver's license;
- Established residency in Illinois, upon starting date;
- Minimum of 21 years of age by the application deadline date (January 12, 2021) and UNDER 35 years of age at the time of hire. This can be extended to 40 years of age for police officers previously employed with a regularly constituted police department;
- Completed a minimum of 60 credit hours at an accredited college, university or junior college - OR - have at least two (2) years of active military or naval service (documented by an honorable discharge) by the application deadline date (January 12, 2021);
- Possess a valid NIPSTA (P.O.W.E.R. Test) card -OR- equivalent criteria as per the State standard (i.e. P.O.W.E.R. Test cards issued through Joliet Junior College or Triton Community College), issued within 12 months of the application due date (January 12, 2021);
- Be of high moral standards and display integrity and habits based upon the City of Northlake's values and standards;
- Be free of any felony convictions, or misdemeanor criminal convictions as specified in 65 ILCS 5/10-1.7 of the Illinois Revised Statutes;
- Must be able to participate and successfully complete all phases of the hiring process including written examination, polygraph test, medical examination, psychological assessment, drug screening, and an intensive background investigation;
- Must provide copies of valid driver's license, birth certificate, high school diploma (or GED equivalency), military service record and discharge papers, social security card, and background release;
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
Preference Points will be awarded as determined by the City of Northlake for the following:
- Military: Persons who were engaged in the military or naval service of the United States for at least one year, and were honorably discharged. A copy of Form DD-214 (indicating status of discharge) must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Education: Possess an Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice or related law enforcement field from an accredited community or junior college –OR- a Bachelor’s Degree in any field from an accredited college or university. A copy of the diploma and/or official transcripts must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Experience: Persons who have been awarded a certificate attesting to the successful completion of the Minimum Standards Basic Law Enforcement Training Course as provided in the Illinois Police Training Act -AND- are currently serving as a law enforcement officer on a part-time or full-time basis within the State. A copy of the State of Illinois Law Enforcement Officer certificate must be submitted with application to qualify.
Submission of Application:
Applications MUST be submitted online by Tuesday, January 12, 2021 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Mandatory Next Steps in the Hiring Process
Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing starting at 9 AM on Monday, January 25, 2021 through Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 4 PM. The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants:
As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline.
All applications are subject to the Rules and Regulations of the Board of Police Commissioners of the City of Northlake. This Department strives to attract and retain men and women who reflect the diversity of our community. The residents of Northlake desire applicants who believe in our law enforcement mission to enforce the law while protecting the constitutional rights of all persons and improving our quality of life. The Northlake Police Department is (CALEA) nationally accredited department and an equal opportunity employer.