Chicago Heights Fire Department, Chicago Heights, Illinois
The Chicago Heights Board of Fire and Police Commissioners is accepting applications for the position of firefighter/paramedic.
Salary: $58,526.00Incentives/Certification Pay of 5.64% OVER base pay with the following certifications: Advanced FF, FAE, VMO and Hazmat TechnicianPopulation: 30,026Sworn Personnel: 60
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Chicago Heights Fire Department:
- U.S. citizenship;
- Possess a valid driver's license with good driving record (will be required proof of identification at all phases of testing);
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
- At least 18 years of age and UNDER 35 years of age at time of the application deadline (May 24, 2021);
- No felony convictions;
- Be certified at an EMT by the State of Illinois or be eligible for reciprocity (EMT-B);
- Pass a mandatory on-line written exam administration starting at 9 AM on Tuesday, June 8, 2021 through Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 4 PM;
- Must present a valid CPAT and Ladder Climb certification with any licensed agency, issuedno more than 12 months prior to time of job appointment;
- Additional information on the CPAT and Ladder Climb Certifications is available in the "Summary of the Hiring Process" section of the application.
- Must meet the requirements of a background investigation, pass an oral examination, and medical, drug, psychological and polygraph tests;
- Be certified as a paramedic in the South Cook County Emergency Medical Service System at Ingalls Hospital, Harvey, Illinois and the State of Illinois prior to the date the candidate is hired as a Firefighter/Paramedic for the city;
- ALL new and current members may reside ANYWHERE in the State of Illinois, within a 50 mile radius of the City's Police Headquarters;
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee;
- Application deadline is Monday, May 24, 2021 at 4:00 PM.
A Maximum of Ten (10) Preference Points will be awarded as determined by the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners for the following:
Military Veterans: Applicants who served in the United States military for at least 1 year and who were honorably discharged shall receive 5 points. Proof of such service must include a copy of Military Form DD-214 (long form) as proof of active service and evidence of honorable discharge at time of application to qualify;
Education: Applicants who have successfully obtained an Associate's Degree in the field of Fire Service or Emergency Medical Services -OR- a Bachelor's Degree in any field from an accredited college or university, shall be awarded 2 points. Official transcripts must be submitted at time of application to qualify;
Paramedic Certification: Applicants who have obtained Firefighter II or Firefighter III certification or a State of Illinois or nationally certified Paramedic (EMT-P) license shall be awarded 1 points. Proof of licensure must be submitted at time of application to qualify;
Residency: Residents of the City of Chicago Heights for at least one year shall be awarded 1 point. Must submit proof of residency at the time of application to qualify;
- Experience: Applicants who are currently employed as a Paid on Call firefighter shall be awarded 1/2 point for every 6 months of POC service for maximum of 5 points.
Submission of Application
- Applications MUST be submitted online by Monday, May 24, 2021 at 4:00 PM (CST).
- Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Mandatory Remote On-Line Written Examination Testing – Following completion of the application materials, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing starting at 9 AM on Tuesday, June 8, 2021 through Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 4 PM. The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants: As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline. Failure to disclose complete and honest information may result in disqualification from the hiring process.
The City of Chicago Heights is an Equal Opportunity Employer