Metra Police DepartmentChicago, Illinois
The Northeast Regional Commuter Railroad Corporation (D/B/A Metra) is now accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Metra Police Department.
Starting Salary: $27.47 per hour non-certified (75%) at academy; $31.14 per hour certified (85%) on 18-month probation; $36.63 per hour off-probation patrol officer
Sworn Police Officers: 120
The Metra Police Department is responsible for the safety and security of the second largest commuter railroad system in the United States.
The Metra Rail System is an approximately 500 mile system which moves more than 90 million Chicagoland passengers annually thru 242 stations and 11 lines, and operates as part of the single most important railroad hub in North America.
A professional police force of more than 100 sworn officers, the Metra Police Department is responsible for the safety and security of the Metra system in a 6-county service area; Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will counties in Northeastern Illinois.
Our officers provide full police services to our passengers, employees, stations, equipment and rights-of-way. Metra Police Officers serve in various capacities which include: administrative staff, canine units, detective division, Homeland Security Unit, and patrol division.
For more information about the Metra Police Department, please visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6BIbVTKa_0
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by The Northeast Regional Commuter Railroad Corporation:
- U.S. Citizenship AND/OR legal permanent resident of the United States;
- No felony convictions (Note: a misdemeanor or serious traffic offense may also disqualify applicants from further consideration). A list of disqualifying convictions is contained in the "Disqualification Section" of the Summary of the Hiring Process page of this application;
- Valid driver's license;
- At least 21 years of age at time of appointment as a sworn officer;
- Be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D. equivalent;
- Illinois residents must possess a valid Firearm Owners Identification Card (F.O.I.D.) at the time of hire;
- Applicants who are not an actively certified police officer in the State of Illinois (as outlined in the Illinois Police Training Act, 50/ILCS,705), shall be required to present a valid POWER Test Certification card at the time of the oral interview;
- Successful qualified applicants will be hired as a Metra Police Recruit and required to attend and successfully complete an approved Basic Law Enforcement Training Course (as outlined in the Illinois Police Training Act, 50/ILCS,705);
- Selected candidates must undergo and successfully pass a physical examination/drug test, psychological evaluation, and comprehensive background check to verify information regarding education, employment, vehicle, and criminal history, including fingerprints;
- A background check will be conducted regarding drug and alcohol testing history on candidates who have worked for agencies subject to DOT regulations;
- This position is subject to random drug and alcohol testing;
- Relocation is not available for this position;
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
- The Basic Law Enforcement Training Course will be waived for individuals currently certified as a police officer in the State of Illinois; -OR- have successfully completed an approved Basic Law Enforcement Training Course (as outlined in the Illinois Police Training Act, 50/ILCS,705); -OR- able to obtain a waiver from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board for out of state training prior to employment.
- Participants in the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board Intern Program, who will be a certified police officer by the date of appointment, may also apply.
Submission of Application:
Applications MUST be submitted online by Wednesday, July 7, 2021 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Mandatory Remote On-Line Written Examination: Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing starting at 9 AM on Tuesday, July 27, 2021 through Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 4 PM. The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants (Please read carefully prior to purchasing the application):
- As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records, and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather the documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until the day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline. (See the "Summary of the Hiring Process" page of this application for a list of required documents).
- Police officers in Illinois are specifically excepted from the Cannabis Control Act, and cannot partake in the consumption of Marijuana, on or off duty.
Metra is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, gender identity, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation.