Elk Grove Village, Illinois
Starting Salary: $67,702 (during academy) / $75,642 (upon completion of academy) (May 2021)Population: 32,942Total Officers: 90 Sworn; 4 PSOs The Elk Grove Village Police Department is accepting applications for the position of Police Officer. This includes candidates with no experience and lateral transfers. Lateral transfers may qualify for a 10,000 hiring incentive. Additional details can be found below. All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Elk Grove Village Police Department:
- Be a United States citizen, and must speak English;
- At least 21 and under the age of 35 by the date of the written examination (September 16, 2021) unless exempt by state statute;
- Possess high school diploma or GED equivalent;
- Completed 60 semester college credit hours from an accredited college or university as of 8/31/2021 -OR- must have served 24 months of active duty or 180 days of combat duty as designated by the Department of Defense in the United States Armed Forces, and have not been discharged under circumstances other than honorable.
- No felony convictions and must be of good moral character; (Note: A misdemeanor or felony conviction does not constitute automatic bar from employment. The nature of the offense, the date of the offense, the surrounding circumstance, and the relevance of the offense to the position applied for, may however, be considered in assessing qualifications for employment. Applicants may be requested to provide additional information regarding criminal convictions to assist the Village in evaluating qualifications for employment in the position sought). The applicant understands that the Village is not requesting, nor should the applicant disclose expunged juvenile records of adjudication or arrest;
- Possess a valid state-issued driver's license;
- Possess 20/40 corrected vision;
- Successfully pass a written examination, background investigation, oral interview with the Board of Fire and Police Commission, polygraph, medical evaluation (to include drug and alcohol screening), and psychological evaluation;
- Must possess a valid POWER Test card, issued within 12 months of the application deadline date (August 31, 2021);
- Only POWER Test cards issued by NIPSTA, Triton College, or Joliet Junior College will be accepted.*
- Applicants must present the POWER Test card NO LATER than the application deadline date (August 31, 2021).
- POWER Test requirement is waived for lateral transfer candidates.
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee; Hardship Waivers are available by request.
*Visit the following websites for additional information on obtaining a POWER Test card:
Lateral Transfer Candidates: An applicant who is a police officer in good standing with the law enforcement agency he/she is employed with and certified by the State certification board is eligible to be placed on a lateral transfer eligibility list.
- Lateral transfer candidates are NOT required to obtain a P.O.W.E.R. test card;
- Lateral transfer candidates ARE REQUIRED to take the written exam;
- Lateral transfer candidates ARE REQUIRED to participate in the group oral interview process.
The Village of Elk Grove will offer a $10,000 hiring incentive to applicants who fulfill certain criteria. In order to be eligible for the Lateral Transfer Eligibility List, you must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a sworn Illinois Certified Police Officer in good standing with the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board;
- Must have graduated from an Illinois Police Academy within the previous 48 months of the applicant's application to the Village;
- Must take the Village's entrance exam and be hired by the Village through its normal hiring process for non-certified officers, including a background check;
- Must not be under investigation by your department at the time of the application to the Village; and
- Must pass the 18-month probationary period and agree to stay employed at the Village for a period of 36 months from the date of hire. The incentive will be paid upon successful completion of the probationary period.
A maximum of (4) preference points will be awarded as determined by the Village of Elk Grove Village for any one the following:
- Military (maximum 2 pts): Armed Forces veterans Honorably discharged will earn one-half point for each six months of active service up to a maximum of two points. Individuals with General or Other Than Honorable discharge are not eligible for veteran preference points;
- Education (maximum 2 pts): Persons who have successfully obtained an Associate's Degree may claim 1 point. Persons who have successfully obtained a Bachelor's Degree may claim 2 points;
Claim forms and submittal instructions will be distributed to individuals that successfully pass the written examination.
Submission of Application:
Applications must be submitted online by Tuesday, August 31, 2021 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted. Please be advised that technical support is only available during normal business hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Mandatory On-Line Written Examination Testing: Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing starting at 9 AM on Tuesday, September 14, 2021 through Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 4 PM. The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants: All applicants must submit the following documents as part of their application. Failure to do so will result in disqualification from future steps in the hiring process.
- Copy of state-issued Driver's License;
- Copy of Birth Certificate;
- Copy of High School Diploma or GED Equivalency;
- Copy of POWER test card issued within 12 months of the application deadline date (August 31, 2021) (waived for lateral candidates);
- Copy of official or unofficial college transcripts (if applicable);
- Copy of military form DD-214 (if applicable);
- Copy of ILETSB Law Enforcement Officer Certification (if applicable).
The Elk Grove Village Police Department provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, the Village of Elk Grove Village complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Village of Elk Grove Village prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.