Wilmington Police Department
The Wilmington, Illinois Board of Police Commission is accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Wilmington Police Department.
Starting Salary: $57-61k Population: 5,735Sworn Police Officers: 17* (12 Full-Time and 5 Part-Time)*Will add 2 full-time officers within next 2 years. The Wilmington Police Department is proud to announce that they are now certified by the United States Department of Veterans' Affairs for the Police Officer on-the-job Training Program. Please visit http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/onthejob_apprenticeship.asp
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the City of Wilmington:
- U.S. citizenship;
- No felony convictions;
- Possess a valid state-issued driver's license with good driving record;
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age and UNDER 35 years of age at the time of application unless otherwise exempt by State Statute 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6;
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
- Possess a valid NIPSTA card – OR - equivalent criteria as per the State standard, issued within 12 months of the written exam date (October 2, 2021);
- POWER Test Cards issued by NIPSTA, Triton College or Joliet Junior College will be accepted.
- Applicants must present the POWER Test card NO LATER than the written exam date (October 2, 2021).
- Successfully pass a written examination with a minimum passing score of 70% on each of the (4) sections;
- Successfully complete an oral interview with the Board of Police Commission;
- Successfully complete a background investigation, polygraph, and psychological testing;
- Successfully complete a medical physical, to include drug and alcohol screening;
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
A maximum of (5) preference points will be awarded as determined by the City of Wilmington for any one the following:
- Education: Persons who have successfully obtained an Associate's Degree in the field of law enforcement or criminal justice - OR - a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university. Copy of unofficial transcripts must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Experience: Persons who have been awarded a certificate of successful completion of the Minimum Standards Basic Law Enforcement Training Course (Certified Illinois Police Officer). Copy of state-issued certification must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Military: Persons who were engaged in the military or naval service of the United States for at least one year, and were honorably discharged, - OR - who are now, or may hereafter be on inactive or reserve duty in such military or naval service. A copy of Form DD-214 or equivalent proof of current military service must be submitted with application to qualify.
Submission of Application:
Applications must be submitted online by Monday, September 20, 2021 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Mandatory Orientation and Written Examination Testing Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to attend the following. Clear your calendar and make sure you are available on the following date: All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process.
Saturday, October 2, 2021 - Check-in starts at 7:30 a.m.The written exam will start promptly at 8:00 a.m.Location: Wilmington High School209 Wildcat Ct.Wilmington, IL 60481 The City of Wilmington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants:As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline.