PLEASE NOTE: There is no fee for this application.
Palos Heights Police Department
Palos Heights, Illinois
Starting Salary: $71,657.04 - $107,562.00 (likely to increase after current contract talks)Population: 12,515Total Sworn Officers: 28 The City of Palos Heights Board of Fire and Police Commission is accepting applications for the position of Police Officer with the Palos Heights Police Department. All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the City of Palos Heights Board of Fire and Police Commission:
- United States citizenship;
- Must be between the ages of 21 and 34 by the time of appointment unless exempt from such age limitation as provided in Illinois State Statute Section 5/10-2.1-6 of the Fire and Police Commissioner's Act;
- No felony convictions and must be of good moral character; (Note: A misdemeanor or felony conviction does not constitute automatic bar from employment. The nature of the offense, the date of the offense, the surrounding circumstance, and the relevance of the offense to the position applied for, may however, be considered in assessing qualifications for employment. Applicants may be requested to provide additional information regarding criminal convictions to assist the Village in evaluating qualifications for employment in the position sought). The applicant understands that the City is not requesting, nor should the applicant disclose expunged juvenile records of adjudication or arrest;
- Possess a valid state-issued driver's license;
- Possess either an Associates Degree in Criminal Justice or related field -OR- a Bachelor's Degree in any field. Must have the actual degree, course hours alone do not count;
- Successfully pass a written examination, background investigation, oral interview with the Board of Fire and Police Commission, polygraph, medical evaluation (to include drug and alcohol screening), psychological evaluation, and physical ability testing (P.O.W.E.R. Test).
To any person who is entitled to military, educational or law enforcement preference points whose name appears on the register of eligible, the Board shall add five (5) points (Sections 5/10-2.1-8 and 5/10-2.1-9) upon request of applicant. Such preference points shall not be cumulative.
Submission of Application:
Applications must be submitted online by Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted. Please be advised that technical support is only available during normal business hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
On-line Written Examination Testing
Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing on Saturday, July 16, 2022 (test will be available between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM). Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants: All applicants must submit the following documents as part of their application. Failure to do so will result in disqualification from future steps in the hiring process.
- Copy of State-Issued Driver's License;
- Copy of Birth Certificate;
- Copy of Associates -OR- Bachelors Degree Certificate -OR- Official or Unofficial College Transcript,
- Copy of Law Enforcement Certification (if applicable);
- Copy of Military Form DD-214 (if applicable).
The City of Palos Heights provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.