PLEASE NOTE: The deadline for this application has been extended to February 14, 2023.
The online written exam will now be held from February 21 through February 23, 2023.
Grundy County, Illinois Sheriff’s Office
The Grundy County Sheriff’s Office Merit Commission is accepting applications for the position of Correctional Officer with the Grundy County Sheriff’s Office.
Starting Salary: $54,737.44 as of 12/1/2022
Sworn Personnel: 16
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Grundy County Merit Commission:
- U.S. citizenship;
- No felony convictions
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
- Valid driver's license;
- Minimum of 21 years of age as of date of hire;
- Must pass the Illinois P.O.W.E.R. test (this Pre-Employment Condition is not required at the time of application);
- Must take an on-line written examination between Tuesday, January 24, 2023 and Thursday, January 26, 2023. (More information concerning the written exam is located under the "Summary of the Hiring Process" section of this application);
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
Submission of Application
- Applications must be submitted online by Tuesday, February 14, 2023 @ 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
- Previous Grundy County Sheriff’s Office applicants are eligible to re-apply.
Documents Required for Application Submission
- Copy of valid driver's license (front AND back REQUIRED);
- Copy of birth certificate;
- Copy of High school diploma or GED equivalent (If unable to provide a diploma, obtain a letter of certification from the school);
- Copy of social security card;
- If applicant has military experience, a copy of Form DD-214 is required.
A maximum of (5) Preference Points may be awarded in the following areas, as determined by the Grundy County Merit Commission, for the following if qualified and duly requested by applicant. Documentation is required as part of this application to qualify.
- Military Service: Candidates who have honorably served in the military service of the United States MUST submit a copy of his or her DD-214 as part of this application to qualify. Candidate will be awarded 1.25 points for each year of active military service not to exceed four (4) years or 5 points. Any candidate serving 12 months in a recognized combat zone shall be awarded 5 preference points.
- Educational/College Degree: Candidates must have successfully completed an Associate’s Degree (3 points) or Bachelor’s Degree (5 points) from a regionally accredited college or university. A copy of all transcripts (official preferred) MUST be submitted as part of this application to qualify. Official transcripts may be required at the Background Investigation stage.
- Law Enforcement or Correctional Officers: Candidates with Certified Correctional Officer or Law Enforcement experience may submit a certified letter of their experience. Candidate will be awarded 5 preference points. A copy of this certificate MUST be submitted as part of this application to qualify.
- Former members of the Grundy County Sheriff's Office Explorers Post # 111: Former members may secure a maximum of two (2) preference points for years of service to the Explorers program. This is calculated at a rate of 1/2 point per year, for up to 4 years and a maximum of two (2) preference points. Appropriate documentation MUST be submitted as part of this application to qualify.
The Grundy County, Illinois Sheriff’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.