Please Note: This application is for Entry Level Police Officer applicants only.
If you have previous experience as a police officer, please use the
Chicago Heights Lateral Transfer application also found on Apply to Serve.
The City of Chicago Heights, Illinois Board of Fire and Police Commissioners is accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Chicago Heights Police Department.
Salary: $53,393.45 (Starting) to $97,138.60 (after 10 years and 1 day of service), plus benefits*. Additional education incentive pay is also available as follows:
15 college credit hours - 0.5%
30 college credit hours - 1.0%
60 college credit hours - 1.5%
Associates Degree - 2.0%
Bachelor's Degree - 3.0%
*Note: Upon completion of the police academy, officers will receive an additional 4% for Range Pay, plus an additional 4% for Use of Force Training pay. After completion of on-the-job field training, officers will receive an additional 4% Training Pay.
Sworn Police Officers: 78 Full-time
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the City of Chicago Heights, Illinois Board of Fire and Police Commissioners:
- U.S. citizenship at the time of application;
- No felony convictions or misdemeanor convictions involving moral turpitude, as specified in 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6;
- High school diploma or High school equivalency/G.E.D. Certificate;
- Valid State-issued driver's license;
- Minimum of 21 years of age at the time of application -AND- must be UNDER 35 years of age at the time of application, EXCEPT applicants who are currently 20 years of age and have successfully completed two (2) years of law enforcement studies at an accredited college or university;
- Must reside in the State of Illinois, within a 50 mile radius of the City of Chicago Heights, within 12 months from date of employment. (Applicants do not need to currently reside in Chicago Heights to apply);
- Will be required to complete an oral interview, background investigation, psychological and polygraph examinations, pass a physical ability test, and physical examination, including drug testing;
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee;
- Submit all application documents online by Monday, January 30, 2023 at 4:00 PM (CST).
- Attend a mandatory orientation on Saturday, February 11, 2023 at 10:00 AM (CST).
The following documents MUST be included with your application:
- Birth certificate;
- Valid driver's license;
- High school diploma (or transcripts) -OR- high school equivalency/GED;
- Military Service Record Form DD-214 (for any applicant with military service).
Submission of Application:
- Applications MUST be submitted online by Monday, January 30, 2023 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Hiring Process Steps and Timeline:
Phase 1: Submit Application (YOU ARE CURRENTLY AT THIS PHASE) - Applicants must complete and submit all application materials by Monday, January 30, 2023 at 4:00 PM (CST).
Phase 2: Mandatory Orientation Session - Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to attend the following. All police officer applicants MUST attend this session. If you do not attend this session, you will NOT be allowed to continue to future stages of the hiring process. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process.
Saturday, February 11, 2023 (Starts promptly at 10:00 AM)
Location: Chicago Heights Police Department Courtroom, 1601 Halsted Street, Chicago Heights, IL 60411
Phase 3: Mandatory Remote On-Line Written Examination Testing - Following completion of all application materials, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing starting at 9 AM on Tuesday, February 14, 2023 through Thursday, February 16, 2023 at 4 PM. The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants:
As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow enough time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, ALL materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline. You may wish to print this page for your records.
The City of Chicago Heights is an Equal Opportunity Employer.