Kankakee County Sheriff's OfficeKankakee, Illinois
The Kankakee County Sheriff's Office Merit Commission is accepting applications for the position of deputy sheriff with the Kankakee County Sheriff's Department.
Salary: $56,485 - $88,735 (30 years). Additional compensation includes overtime pay, holiday pay, uniform allowance ($800 cash, or $1,000 quartermaster per year), education pay ($40-$300 per month), fitness incentive (up to $1,620 per year), shift differential (up to $110 per month), and non-tobacco use incentive ($300 per year).Benefits: include competitive medical insurance plans, tuition reimbursement, compensatory, and personal time off in addition to vacation and sick leave, take-home squad cars, and IMRF Pension Plan.Lateral Transfers: A certified, full-time Law Enforcement Officer in the State of Illinois can receive up to 5-years service credit with a base salary of $74,197 upon transferring. Population: 107,000 (approx.)Sworn Officers: 53
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the County of Kankakee:
- U.S. citizenship;
- No felony convictions;
- Valid state-issued driver's license;
- Must be at least 20 years of age at the time of application and 21 years of age at time of appointment, unless otherwise exempt per state statute;
- Be a high school graduate (or have attained a GED) -AND- have successfully completed at least (60) semester hours of accredited college credit -OR- be currently employed at the Kankakee County Sheriff's Office in the Corrections Division with at least 2 years of service at the initial offer of employment -OR- currently serving in the United States military (full-time for at least two years), or have served for two years and been honorably discharged;
- Possess a valid P.O.W.E.R. Test card issued by NIPSTA, Triton College, Kankakee Community College, or Joliet Junior College within the last 12 months and submitted no later than the written exam date (November 15, 2023);
- Must successfully complete a written examination and oral interview;
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, polygraph, medical, and drug screen testing;
- Must be a resident of the County of Kankakee within 6 months of appointment as a sheriff's deputy;
- Pay a $45.00 application processing fee, reimbursable upon successful completion of written exam.
Lateral Transfer Candidates: An applicant who is a police officer in good standing with the law enforcement agency he/she is employed with and certified by the State certification board is eligible to be placed on a lateral transfer eligibility list.
- Lateral transfer candidates are NOT required to obtain a P.O.W.E.R. test card;
- Lateral transfer candidates are NOT required to take the written exam;
- Lateral transfer candidates ARE REQUIRED to participate in the oral interview process, psychological exam, and pass a drug screen.
In order to be eligible for the Lateral Transfer Eligibility List, you must meet the following requirements:
- Previously been full-time sworn officers of a police department in any municipality, county, university or State law enforcement agency for at least one year; AND
- Certified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board; AND
- Possess substantially equivalent skills and abilities as a Kankakee County Deputy Sheriff who has completed the probationary period.
Submission of Application
Applications MUST be submitted online by Monday, November 6, 2023 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Mandatory Next Steps in the Hiring Process
Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote on-line written exam testing starting at 9 AM on Wednesday, November 15, 2023 through Friday, November 17, 2023 at 4 PM. The test will only be available during this time period. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the on-line written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants:As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline.
The County of Kankakee, Illinois is an Equal Opportunity Employer.