North Maine Fire Protection District
Des Plaines, Illinois
The North Maine Fire Protection District is accepting applications for the position of firefighter/paramedic.
Salary: $76,702 - $112,901Population: 30,000Sworn Personnel: 22
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the North Maine Fire Protection District:
- U.S. citizenship and/or legal permanent resident of the United States;
- Must be legally eligible to operate a motor vehicle in the State of Illinois and must possess a valid Illinois Driver's license at the time of hire;
- Minimum of 21 years of age and not older than 35 years of age by the date of hire, unless the candidate has previous experience as a full-time firefighter in the state of Illinois, or is a veteran that qualifies under Illinois Public Act 97-0251;
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
- Possess a valid Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) or National Registry EMT-Paramedic License (EMT-P) issued by the date of hire;
- Provide a valid CPAT (Candidate Physical Ability Test Card) with Ladder Climb dated within 12 months prior to the time of hire;
- Must read, write, and speak English;
- Must be in excellent physical condition and have good vision;
- Pay a $20.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
Applicants may claim up to three (3) types of Preference Points to be awarded as determined by the North Maine Fire Protection District for the following:
- Education: (Maximum 5 points)
- A.) Associates degree (non-fire science) (2 pts.); -OR- B) Associates degree (fire science or emergency management) (3 pts.) -OR- C) Bachelors degree or higher degree in any field (5 pts.). Transcript(s) (official or unofficial) -OR- copy of diploma must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Military Experience: (5 points).
- Awarded to applicants who have served a minimum of 1 year of active duty for U.S. military service members with an Honorable Discharge. DD-214 (long form) must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Paramedic License: (3 points)
- Candidates who at the time of application have obtained an Illinois IDPH Paramedic License. A copy of your license must be submitted with application to qualify.
- Fire Service Experience: (Maximum 5 points)
- Applicants from outside the Department who were employed as full-time firefighters or firefighter-paramedics by a fire protection district or municipality for at least 2 years may be awarded up to the maximum available preference points for this category at the Board’s discretion. No experience preference points will be awarded under this Section to applicants for service with a private employer who had a contract for fire or ambulance service with a fire protection district or municipality. The Board shall prorate the awarding of the points based on partial years of experience under this section.
Proof of such service must include submission of copies of applicable certificates). Note that proof of full-time service will be verified by the Department. Applicants may be awarded up to one (1) point for each complete year of full-time service, up to a total of zero (0) to five (5) preference points, at the Board’s discretion.
- Residency: (2 points)
- Applicants who maintain their principal personal residence within the boundaries of the North Maine Fire Protection District at the time of application shall receive two (2) preference points. Proof of residency must be shown in order to obtain the points.
Submission of Application:
Applications submitted online by Friday, November 3, 2023 at 4:00 PM (CST) will be accepted. Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
Mandatory Online Written Examination Testing: Following completion of all application materials and review of minimum qualifications, successful applicants will be invited to participate in remote online written exam testing available between Tuesday, November 14, 2023 at 9:00 AM and Thursday, November 16, 2023 at 4:00 PM. Candidates will need to have access to a laptop or desktop computer. All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process, along with further instructions for taking the online written exam. NOTE: Please be sure to check your email spam folder. Many email account providers automatically send our emails there in error (i.e. Google, Yahoo, etc.).
The North Maine Fire Protection District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Important Disclaimer for Potential Applicants:As part of this application form, you will be required to submit various documents, records and/or additional forms. Be sure to allow sufficient time to gather this documentation and fully complete the application before the deadline. In other words, do not wait until one day before the deadline to collect and submit additional required documentation. In order for your application to be accepted, all materials must be submitted and received prior to the deadline.